How Much Does It Cost To Start An Affiliate Marketing Business
I remember when I started and wondered how much does it cost to start an affiliate marketing business?
You can start an affiliate marketing business without it costing anything when using a free domain. If you want to really boost your business it is best to host your website on a purchased domain that will cost you around $15/year and hosting for about $12/month.
I will explain in further details how you can start your online business for Free and then upgrade to a purchased domain once you've learned the basics, learn the advantages, and seeing that you were asking this question, learn everything there is to know about affiliate marketing from me, someone who was in your shoes not all that long ago.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Free
To start an affiliate marketing business you really only need two things:
- Web Hosting Platform
- Registered Domain
Now, this is assuming that you already have a computer and access to the internet as that is obviously another cost you will need to be aware of if you don't already have the means to access the internet.
If you are starting out and not really sure if affiliate marketing is for you then you will probably want to try it out for free first before committing to a paid domain and web hosting platform.
That is exactly the way that I started out-Free!
I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do and I really didn't have much idea of what it was all about.
It took many years before I found a free platform that offered a way to start out free.
It wasn't until I found Wealthy Affiliate that the whole work from home online idea all came together.
Where to Get Free Websites and Training
Starting with Wealthy Affiliate's free training, they took me step-by-step in creating my first website on my free WordPress website.
It didn't take me long to realize the opportunity to make affiliate marketing a viable online business so I decided to get a Premium membership within the 7-day trial.
If I decided not to go Premium I could have stayed on for free and keep building my 2 free websites for as long as I wanted.
Once you follow the beginner training you will have a better understanding of how your online business can go in many different directions, not only affiliate marketing.
Wealthy Affiliate will help you create your business foundation but you will also get full training in affiliate marketing.
You will get FREE beginner training to get you going and give enough information for you to decide if this is the right business for you.
They are not offering a get rich program. Affiliate marketing is available to anybody and you certainly do not need to be a member of Wealthy Affiliate to be successful at affiliate marketing.
All I know is that I was trying to start an online business blindly for many years with bits and pieces of information from various resources without having any true results.
There is another program called Income School that will also help steer you in the right direction and have awesome support and vision.
Personally, I still prefer Wealthy Affiliate as they have almost all the tools, support, and training you will ever need all on one platform.
Why It's Better to Pay for a Domain
Although Wealthy Affiliate will give you 2 Free websites without banners or limitations they are considered to be subdomains.
That means it's not a domain that you own or register as owner. In the case of Wealthy Affiliate free website, it is a subdomain under the main web-host SiteRubix.
So your website would have a URL similar to "yourdomainname.siterubix.com".
If you have a registered website your URL would be "yourdomainname.com".
The FREE website itself will look no different than the registered website except for the URL.
The problem with subdomains that are not your own never ranks very well in Google, Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo.
Where to Buy a Domain and Hosting Site
Most web-hosting sites like Namecheap where you can by a domain name that averages in the $12/ year and hosting services where you can host each website starting from around $5 to $16/month.
There are many other platforms with similar basic packages but there may be additional charges required for some features such as SSL, size of storage, number of visitors allowed / month, and speeds.
This is where Wealthy Affiliate, again blows everyone out of the water.
As a Premium member, with one flat rate per month or year you can host up to 50 websites and domains cost an average $12 to $13/year.
Other Affiliate Marketing Expenses
After getting your Domain name and web-hosting services, you really don't need to pay for anything else to have your affiliate marketing business up and running.
That said there are always options and additional tools and services you may want to access to make the work easier, faster, and more competitive.
Here are some common tools people will use to get there websites looking professional and rank higher in search engine result pages (SERPS).
- Keyword Research Tools: many stand-alone keyword research tools can cost in excess of hundreds, even thousands per month. Keyword research tools are often used by large companies to outrank their competition. Once again, Wealthy Affiliate provides this tool as part of their monthly fee for hosting 50 websites, training, support, and live chat among other features.
- Email Marketing: another popular way to get returning customers to your website is with an email marketing strategy. his is done using an email platform that can manage or schedule regular mail-outs to your subscribers. Depending on your volume, when starting out you can use free services if you don't have too many subscribers. As your volume increases you may have no choice but to use a paid service that can start to cost an average of $19/month.
- Photos/Images: This again is not a required expense but if you don't have the time to create images for your posts then a paid service can save you lots of time. I use one called Graphicstock. It costs approx. $149/year where you can use a huge collection of photos, images, vectors, and illustrations. You can download them, once downloaded you can use them forever. There are also many free options for images but you will be limited and will notice that the same images are being used all over the internet. I also use a free version of an image editor called Canva that works really well for bloggers.
- Post Writers: as a solopreneur it can be difficult to do everything. That is where you may consider outsourcing to writing services to write blog posts for your website(s). You can use a service like HireWriters that will charge an average of $20 to $30 per post, depending on how fast and how long you want your posts.
- PPC: you can get free traffic (organic traffic) from search engines but when you are starting out it can take months before your website starts to show up on the first page of search engines. This is where pay-per-click (PPC) can get traffic to your website quickly. Essentially it's paid advertising to direct people to your website. PPC costs can get cost you lots of money if you do not know what you are doing so make sure you get proper training before you attempt this strategy.
- Other Plugins: with a WordPress website there are thousands of free plugins you can use for your website but to ensure you get support and regular updates you may want to consider a paid service. They can range anywhere from $1 to $1000++ all depending on what type of plugin service you are looking at using...if you need something, it's most likely out there in dozens of configurations.
I hope that this post answers your question on how much it costs to start an affiliate marketing business.
It really is an online business that you can start for free and then escalate to paid services as you learn more about affiliate marketing.
In general, though you can have a full-fledged online business with as little as around $16/month.
There aren't many businesses you can start with such a low initial cost and be able to work from anywhere in the world, as long as you have a computer and internet service.
How successful and how quickly your business will grow is determined on how much work you put into it and whether you pay for some services or tools.
I was wandering aimlessly for years until I found Wealthy Affiliate and support from Income School. I really suggest checking them out and see for yourself. Both platforms will give you great information for free but if you really want to have a thriving business then consider their paid memberships.
“If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” — Isaac Newton
Have you ever created a website on a different platform? Let me know in the comments, I would love to hear from you and I always respond.
Have a comment or question please leave them below and remember to share this post with your friends, don't be selfish. 😉
Sign-Up To Wealthy Affiliate For FREE Today!
See why I and over 1.4 Million members trust Wealthy Affiliate to manage their online business
No Credit Information Required